[HM] lost system folder! addendum

Jim Norman jimoctec at mac.com
Wed Aug 10 00:34:03 PDT 2005

michaelP wrote:

>Of course I should have added:
>
>G4 iMac, running OS 9.2.2
>

>>Hi folks, given a bit of crashing recently, I used a free version of
>>TechTool to repair the desktop, etc. Having restarted the mac
>>(automatically) I noticed to my horror that the System Folder was no longer
>>visible on the internal hard disk! In using Find (for system, etc) it finds
>>such files but the System Folder and eveything under it are greyed out. On
>>attempting to do Shutdown (in case that would solve the problem, sometimes
>>it does...) I received a terrifying warning that because there is no "valid
>>system folder" it might not be possible to restart the machine! So, although
>>apllications etc seem to work (and thus the System Folder and its contents
>>must exist) I am stuck with a non-visibl System Folder (e.g., I have another
>>problem because I now no longer have access to control panels and the Apple
>>Menu no longer has any components except the "About This Mac", etc).
>>
>>Does this ring a bell with any of you?
>>
>>regards
>>
>>michaelP

First thing to do is to rebuild the Desktop file, restart the computer
and hold down the Command (Apple) and Option keys until you see a
dialogue box with the message "Are you sure you want to rebuild the
Desktop file on the disk "your disk"?  Click yes and wait for the
process to complete.  This is the first solution to try as it is least
invasive.

If that fails, start up from your System CD (hold down the "C" key until
the Mac boots to the CD, you'll see CD icons in the background during
the boot process.

Open the utilities folder and run Disk First Aid to Repair your hard
disk.  Disk First Aid is also the least intrusive disk managment tool.

Failing that step finding your missing items you can reinstall the
system; Macs are much more polite than PCs in that you can do a system
refresh without losing all your files and settings.

Hope this helps,

Jim