[HM] External drive types

Brett Forrester bforrester at macconnect.com
Mon Feb 21 19:33:52 PST 2005

Dear Jane,

I'm going through some e-mail digests I've missed, so perhaps you've
already made your decisions, but still here are few more pieces of
information to consider:

1. LaCie makes external drives with FireWire-only, USB-only, and dual
FireWire and USB ports.

2. USB ports come in two speeds, USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 (high speed),
but both ports look the same.

3. FireWire ports also come in two speeds, FireWire 400 and FireWire
800, but both ports look different.

4. FireWire 400 ports come standard on all Macs, but so far FireWire
800 only arrives with PowerMacs (towers).

5. All Macs also arrive with USB ports, but only recently have the
high speed variety (USB 2.0) ports been included. This means that
older Macs have only USB 1.1 ports, which is fine for mice and flash
drives, but sluggish for movements to an external hard drive. Which
kind of USB ports does your Mac have?

6. USB 2.0 is generally equivalent in terms of speed to FireWire 400.

7. Most PCs don't yet come with FireWire ports, but both USB ports are common.

So what sort of ports does your Mac have? Will you want to connect
this external drive to PCs also? My older iBook only has the older
USB ports (which really are slow for hard drive connections), so when
I shopped for an external drive, I wanted it to include FireWire 400
ports. Also, as I have no need to share my external drive with any
PCs, I found that LaCie offered FireWire-only versions of the drives
I was investigating at a lower cost than the dual port type, so I
bought direct from LaCie and have been very pleased. Also, you could
do worse than check out LaCie's sale page.

I hope these reminders help.

Brett

bforrester at macconnect.com