[HM] screen resolution: pinched inches

michaelP michael at sandwich-de-sign.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 23:25:35 PST 2005

>From: Brian Olesky
>
> The ruler shows...how do I describe this...the relative size of your page.
> Each inch on the ruler shows an inch not on your screen, but on the actual
> page when you print it out.
>
> So whatever size you have the page on your screen, the ruler will always
> show you the measurement of the real page.
>
> Try it and see.
>
> Brian

 Thanks, Brian, but I do realise this (I have been using DTP software,
mainly
 PageMaker since version 1, as a graphic designer for 17 years); it's just
 that, on other Macs I have loved and lost, when viewing at "Actual Size"
 (PageMaker) or "Print Size" (PhotoShop) the rulers *were* inch for inch,
 i.e., the screen rulers' inches were actually one inch long. I agree this
 doesn't matter unless one is, say, showing a client on screen the size of
  option of displaying a picture at "Print Size", given the fact (as you
have
shown yourself) that the rulers always show the correct measurements at any
 magnification, then I DO expect THIS option to display on screen the actual
 size of the image when it prints (and similarly for PageMaker's "Actual
 Size" option. You must admit, given the 'correctness' of the rulers at all
magnifications, that such special/specific options should do what they say,
 n'est pas?

 So my problem remains...

 regards

 michaelP