[HM] Help importing audio into my G4

Jack Honeycutt jhoneycutt at qwest.net
Mon Jul 25 15:40:20 PDT 2005

Folks...

I have lost the book for my dual 1.24 G4 processor tower Mac.   I am
running the latest Tiger release. I need some help importing audio into
this machine.  I have a cassette deck with RCA outputs.  I would like to
plug my deck into my Mac and import audio from a cassette tape.  How do I
do that?

I found what looks to be audio jacks in the back of the machine.  One
appears to be a speaker out jack.  The other jack is a sideways pyramid
facing another pyramid with a circle between them. I guess if I had been
paying attention during Stargate Atlantis, I would know what this is the
International symbol of. But I don't.  Another jack is a symbol of a almost
1/2 circle with sound coming out of it.  Maybe this is a headphone jack?

I am guessing the two pyramid jack is audio input? If this is the case, I
need to drive to Radio Shack and buy a plug that will fit it.  What is this
plug called?  Is this the 1/4 inch banana/orange fruitcake hybrid?  Or
maybe the Phono-Scratch 1/2 inch mini twist-&-pull? I know it must have a
name & size.

So, don't I need to know the impedance of the imput of the audio jack in
the Mac?  Can I just adapt the RCA connector output of my cassette deck, to
the proper jack in the Mac, &  plug it in?

Assuming I get that far, do I launch iTunes to import audio?

When all of this is over & done, I am dropping this audio into  iMovie.

Any tips for the un anointed would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

jack in Portland Oregon