[HM] Help importing audio into my G4

Christian Dupuis d1user at mac.com
Thu Jul 28 02:52:19 PDT 2005

On Jul 25, 2005, at 18:58, homemac-
request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:

> I do know that iTunes won't help. You 'll need to use something else.
> The articles should help with what that something is.

For audio work "on the cheap", I use Wiretap Pro from Ambrosia
(http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/) to capture the track
from the source, then  Felt Tip Software's Sound Studio
(www.felttip.com) to edit.

As for the audio line-in on the G4, I've had issues with noise
related to the analog in. Others have described the audio capture
quality of the G4's built-in line in port from "usable" to "garbage".
I ended up using a USB audio interface (which gave me much better
sound quality).  Initially, I used a Griffin iMic (http://
www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/), but I ended up needing to
do some better quality voice work (and needing XLR inputs for pro
audio microphones), so I switched to M-Audio's MobilePRE interface
(http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MobilePreUSB-main.html) about
3 years ago. Never looked back, and I still use it to this day,
although the MobilePRE's price tag (I paid about $250 for mine at the
time) may be a bit stiff for a hobbyist/casual user; I suffer from
technogadgetitis, so it's easy for me to fall into delirium and
justify purchasing hardware that's a bit more expensive than what I
really need, to my girlfriend's constant amazement (translated: I've
used it maybe three or four times a year).

In Jack's case, the iMic will probably suffice. And it comes with
clear instructions for connections to line devices.

Some people have success using the G4's analog in (read: the level of
noise is low enough that they don't mind it). In my case, I like
using the audio in other projects (Final Cut Pro, iMovie, Keynote),
so using better audio interfaces results in less work cleaning out
the audio afterwards. Also helps me justify the investment in the M-
Audio box. ;-)

On a sidenote, I have been surprised as to the flexibility of USB
audio support since Panther; I've connected stuff like Plantronics
USB headsets on my Powerbook G4 without needing drivers and the
unit's mike and headphones have been instantly recognized by the OS.
So you MIGHT be able to find a cheap PC USB audio interface that will
work with the Mac. Good luck.