[HM] hummmmmm

michaelP michael at sandwich-de-sign.co.uk
Thu Nov 3 00:29:18 PST 2005

hi folks

using:

iMac G4 800Hz, OS 9.2.2, 384 Mb RAM, 40 Gb H/D (and a few years old)

prob:

recently, a few minutes after booting up I hear a humming whirring sound
that starts fairly softly but builds up over the next half hour to quite an
irritating and distracting racket; I presume this is the hard drive or a
fan? Another otherwise identical friend's iMac is as quiet as a (silent)
mouse. Is this something I should be concerned about? And, if so, what can I
do to repair or ameliorate it? Any thoughts?

thanks in anticipation

michaelP