[HM] hummmmmm

Robert Gray rgray at chesapeake.net
Tue Nov 8 09:09:38 PST 2005

At 3:27 PM +0000 on 11/8/05, you wrote:

>  > On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, michaelP wrote:
>>
>  >> Can you remind me how to boot from an external hard drive?
>  >
>>  Hold the option key at boot. A screen will come up that
>  > will allow you to select which drive to boot from.
>

>  Thanks Allan, I tried this three times and each time
>  the screen came up but without the external hard drive
>  showing even though it does appear in the Start-Up
>  Disk control panel (it has a System Folder identical
>  to the one on the internal drive).

I'm not so sure you can simple copy the system folder from one drive
to another.  Things have to be done; like writing a little sector
which tells the system that the drive is bootable.  There may even be
invisible files that are essential and don't get included in a
"finder-copy".  I remember that caution issued was for at least one
OS version.  It's always best to install the OS or at least restore
from a backup copy (that still won't make the disk bootable but you
might be able to do that with Disk Setup or similar.