[HM] hummmmmm

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Wed Nov 9 11:13:38 PST 2005

On Nov 9, 2005, at 12:50 PM, Robert Gray wrote:

>> While this is true for OS X, OS 9 requires no such tweaking.
>> Simply selecting the drive in the Startup Disk control panel
>> will fix the drive so that it can boot.

That does work. I've done it many times. In fact, I did it just
yesterday, copying the OS 9 System Folder from a B/W G3 to an iMac DV
that was running OS X, then re-booted the iMac using OS 9. I figured
that would be much faster than using the install CD then going
through all the upgrades.

> All systems require that there be a disk driver available and
> that's not getting written when you drag the folder to the disk.

The driver is installed on the disk when it is formatted and is
separate from the OS (though the OS can use a driver that overrides
the one on the drive if it wants). The one caveat going between OS 9
and X is that you can format a drive in OS X without having it
install an OS 9 compatible driver. That used to be a check box when
formatting a drive, but I don't see it any more. I hope that means
the OS 9 compatible driver is installed by default, but it may mean
it no longer includes OS 9 compatibility.

-Mike