Booting from external devices Was: [HM] hummmmmm

Technophobic_Tom at comcast.net Technophobic_Tom at comcast.net
Sat Nov 12 05:47:30 PST 2005

At 6:23 AM +0000 on 11/12/05, "michaelP"
<michael at sandwich-de-sign.co.uk> wrote:

>...can any initialisable (read/write) storage device act
>as...a boot drive with a blessed System Folder sitting on it?
>For example, a Zip or USB Flash Drive, as well as another
>external hard drive?
>
>And, if so, does one need to use Drive Setup to best realise this?

It would seem so.  I know that removable media drives such as Zip and
Jazz drives can selected as the startup device and of course
external, fixed media, hard drives can.  Remember, the blessed System
Folder is necessary but not sufficient.  You MUST have the driver for
the device installed WITH the System Folder.  I don't think external
firewire drives can be made bootable.  At least not in all
configurations.

Iomega drives require their own proprietary format utilities.  I'd
suspect that to be the same situation for all other external,
removable media drives.  Fixed media drives can be formated with
either Apple's utility, Drive Setup, or a third party format utility.
--
T.T.