[HM] Cable Modem Speed

Duane Murphy duanemurphy at mac.com
Wed Nov 30 16:00:10 PST 2005

Ah the never ending question. Ask a DSL provider and they say they are
faster. Ask a cable modem provider and they are faster.

The answer is that they are both pretty fast. Bits are bits. They both
go similar speeds for similar dollars. They both have pluses and minuses
and potential bottlenecks, so bit for bit, they are the same.

For example the previous writer said he was getting 3 Mb on cable. I
have 4Mb on DSL. I know people who can get 6Mb on DSL. I expect the same
is true of cable. DSL is highly dependent on distance to the central
office. Cable can be limited by the number of people using the same cable.

So, compare speed to speed for the dollars to determine the best deals.

 ...Duane

--- At Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:46:51 -0800, Jane Sprando wrote:

>Is cable faster than DSL?
>

>> From: Duane Murphy <duanemurphy at mac.com>
>> Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:11:21 -0800
>> To: "A place to discuss Macintosh Computers in the home."
>> <homemac at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>> Subject: Re: [HM] Cable Modem Speed
>>
>> --- At Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:00:01 -0800, Duane Murphy wrote:
>>
>>> The rational is that most of us do web browsing and email reading. The
>>> protocol for web browsing has little tiny requests (upstream) with large
>>
>> Of course, I got this backward. The last part should read:
>>
>> so downstream speed is more important.

 ...Duane