[HM] Trying to initialize an external drive

Duane Murphy duanemurphy at mac.com
Sat Sep 3 19:43:30 PDT 2005

--- At Sat, 3 Sep 2005 14:19:20 -0700, Jane Sprando wrote:

>So..... What am I doing wrong? This should be so easy and I feel dumb! I
>went to Apple support, but it doesn't tell me how to initialize!

The word your looking for is "Erase". In Disk Utility. Click on the
drive. Click on the Erase tab. Select a format (Mac OS Extended -
Journaled preferably). Give it a name and click Erase.

By the way, if the drive showed up on the Desktop, you probably didn't
need to do anything, but maybe it was formatted for Windows, so erasing
is a good idea.

 ...Duane