[HM] printer ink cartridges: refilled or new?

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Thu Aug 24 12:19:49 PDT 2006

On 25/8/2006 4:43 AM, "janesprando at comcast.net" <janesprando at comcast.net>
wrote:

> While I am on the subject of printers and just replaced some cartridges ...
> has anyone ever had cartridges refilled instead of buying new ones? Any
> problems with printing? is the output equal to company brand? Comments?
>
> One of these places that refills ink cartridges just opened near me, so I was
> debating on trying it.
>
> --
> Jane

Refilled cartridges work but they are not recommendable for several reasons.
(1) lightfastness can be poor compared to Epson (2) The Epson ink pump,
printhead, and intellidge system is designed to be used with a certain
viscosity of ink. The machinery can breakdown/malfunction in the long run
due to ink of different viscosity and other characteristics (3) Software
that is designed to operate by reading the intellidge info on the cartridge
can become unreliable as the input data becomes unreliable. (4) That helpful
Epson service is likely to dry up when you most need it if you develop
problems caused by refilled ink.

It seems to me little point in buying a well bred horse and then feeding it
the poorest food. Save the cheap refill inks for cheap printers. I know the
guys selling it reckon it is good stuff, but can you be absolutely certain
that it will not harm your printer eventually?

Tony
http://www.tonyjohansen.com
A Life Of Art