[HM] Interesting DIMM problem

Thom Holland tholland at san.rr.com
Fri Jan 27 08:33:38 PST 2006

Hi all,

I've got a dual G4 MDD.  I upgraded the RAM to 2 GB with 4 512MB DIMMs.
That worked fine for a long time.  Last Monday the power went out at my
home.  It took be a week to get the machine working properly again.
What finally worked was removing 3 DIMMs and leaving one in the '0'
slot.  Today I tried reloading all the DIMMs to see what would happen.
I discovered that if I had a DIMM in slot 1, the Mac would not boot.
Out of curiosity, I tried one of the old 256MB DIMMs in slot 1.  That
worked.  Odd.  The slot works with a 256, but not 512 DIMM.  Yes, I
tried all the 512 DIMMs in slot 1, that stops the Mac from booting.
Anyways, my computer is working fine now.

-Thom