[HM] Volume Scheme, RAID questions

Chris Beamis beamis at drizzle.com
Sat Sep 30 15:07:05 PDT 2006

Hi,
   I'm using disk utility, and I have two identical hard drives.  One
is the boot drive, and it has a single volume.  My hope is to do a
mirror RAID setup so that the second drive always mirrors the first.
When I try to follow the instructions in 10.4.8 help I get to the
point where I'm supposed to click 'create' but it is greyed out.  So
I thought maybe I need to format the second drive first.  I want to
format it identical to the boot drive, but when I click on the boot
drive, then the 'partition' tab, under Volume Scheme it says
Current.  But when I do the same for the second drive, setting Volume
Scheme to Current, everything else is greyed out, I can't type the
volume name or format or size.  The stuff gets ungreyed if, under
Volume Scheme I click on 1 partition, but then I'm not doing it
exactly like the boot drive.

   Can anyone explain to me what the terms "Current" and "1
Partition" mean in this context?

Thanks,
Chris