[HM] Yes, we're back!

Eric Prentice eric at themacintoshguy.com
Tue Sep 15 11:56:58 PDT 2009

Hello List Members,
In case, you didn't notice, the lists at TheMacintoshGuy.com are
back! ;-)

Many of you had noticed the lists slowing down over recent months and
we'd seen some very long delays in trying to get mail processed.
Unfortunately, the poor old XServe we were running on was having a
really hard time keeping up. Our IT friends made some attempts to
squeeze some life into the old server but as we dug into it, the poor
machine just died. Perhaps years of 100% CPU activity wore the poor
thing out.

So instead of messing with things too much, we went out and got a new
machine, and started completely from scratch. We now have a new server
with 10.6 and 64-bit compile of all the server software. (Read below
if you want more details.)

With the new server, we're able to put more things in place that will
help revitalize this community of lists. We're also looking at some
new lists (iPhone, MacTablet, etc.) that will help get us into current
areas of interest. We'll let you know when those are live.

I want to thank you all for the community you've created and I look
forward to seeing it grow. It really is a special thing that we have
all created here together.

We're planning on keeping the lists very open with very little
moderation as they have been for the last 10+ years. We appreciate
everything you do to keep the lists helpful, on topic, PG, and fun to
be a part of. We will work on doing a better job of communicating what
is going on. Unfortunately, the email addresses for the lists have
been around for a long time and are popular with spammers apparently.
While we do a great job of preventing any of that from getting through
to the lists, it does keep the admin accounts and server pretty full
of junk.

So, take a minute to see what other lists you might want to be a part
of and start a discussion there. I was just looking and it looks like
we're approaching the 11th anniversary of our oldest list later this
month.
<http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/>

And for those who didn't know, I'm Eric Prentice, themacintoshguy.com
was a site I started in the mid 90s for my Mac consulting business.
Since then, I started Dr. Bott LLC, <http://www.drbott.net/> a
distributor of accessories for the Apple market and that takes the
majority of my focus. Dr. Bott LLC is kind enough to host the
listserver and lend IT expertise to keeping it running. Our hope is
that the new server will be a better platform to keep things running
smoothly. If you have something you think we need to know, a email to
the list admin addresses are always a good idea, lately you can also
find me on Twitter. <http://twitter.com/tunaball>

Thank you for reading all this and being a part of the lists!

Eric

If you are into technical details from our IT friends, read on...

The old machine really had trouble coping with many many files
combined in a single HFS directory. We considered re-purposing some
existing hardware but decided if we're going to put in the effort, we
might as well start with some fast hardware and the latest versions of
all the applicable software.

This machine was loaded with 10.6.0 Snow Leopard (client). We went on
to compile the current stable release of Mailman and configure
Postfix. I'm excited to say that all the software components for the
list server (Apache, Postfix, Python, Mailman) are running in native
x86_64 mode. Woohoo!

System load and response time on the new server is obviously orders of
magnitude faster than the previous server, an Xserve G4. Snow Leopard
is still a x.0 release, so we realize there are a few minor glitches,
but we didn't run into anything that we could not work around.

Some of the problems we ran into:
* SoftRAID (we love these guys, but it doesn't seem stable yet on 10.6)
* SNMP (wonky responses on some standard monitoring attributes)
* Default configurations more secure (Apple has adjusted some of the
default settings for some services, tending to be more secure then
previous OS versions. That is generally good, but requires a little
extra sleuthing if you plan to install and operate software as
documented for installing on 10.4 or 10.5)