[MacDV] Recommendations for Camcorder Mic

John Leonard johnaura at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 4 02:04:21 PST 2002

on 3/12/02 10:33 pm, Phil A. Lefebvre at p-lefebvre at northwestern.edu wrote:

> My first thought is the Sony ECM-HS1
> Gun Zoom microphone, since it claims to sync with the zoom. It is
> available at B&H for $55.

Sorry to say this, but I don't think you're going to get much of a mic for
$55. I would imagine that this mic uses the low-cost mid/side element found
in other Sony mics and that the "intelligent zoom" feature simply reduces
the level of the side pickup. I would take the various claims that it can
"pick out a single voice in a crowd" with a very large pinch of salt.

Try it before you buy it.

Regards,

--
John Leonard