External mic as an alternative

Sean spenney at stemnet.ca
Fri Dec 6 11:24:57 PST 2002

I've been reading with enthusiasm the recent thread about alternatives to the
internal mics in camcorders.

I've very happy with my Sony TRV-17 miniDV camcorder. I'm no professional but I can
certainly notice the difference in video quality over previous video formats. I love
the ease at which I can edit the stuff I shoot. I can also recognize that the
built-in mic leaves lots to be desired. When I shoot a fairly quiet scene, I can
notice that the mic picks up the sound of the camcorder's motors hauling tape
through! Very annoying.

I'm looking for an alternative that will hopefully pick up less of the sound of the
mechanics of the camcorder and therefore more of what I want to capture. Maybe one of
those 'zoom' mics that sit in the shoe on the Sony can fit the bill.

Any suggestions?

Sean