[MacDV] eyeTV

List Account listmrr at snet.net
Fri Dec 6 12:49:59 PST 2002

I have the El Gato EyeTV. It works like it says it should - but here
are some things to note:

Negative

- Only works with Mac OS X
- Records only MPEG-1 (muxed) - you can't edit the video without a
lengthy conversion process first! This is really a sticking point...
- The TitanTV site is kinda slow - you might want to consider
purchasing Watson (for the scheduling)
- Doesn't always warn you if you're running out of disk space in time
- Only one-way (import)
- Quality is like VHS (at best)

Positive

- Low cost for a "packaged" solution
- Very easy to use (click, click, done)
- Export to QT movie or VCD (with Toast 5.x) is seamless
- Support (for me) has been quite responsive
- Doesn't send back your personal info like Tivo units

All things considered - It makes a nice unit for DVR - but not so good
for editing. I think that with time - these guys will get it right. The
El Gato guys know how to make software that works - but USB video is
kinda limited.

If you just want to catch a few TV shows it's a buy - but if you want
to export from your camera - make sure you can edit beforehand. Not
sure what kind of camera you might have - but a camera that has
firewire and analog pass-through will give you a lot more than this
device can deliver.

M.

-- FWD MSG --