ProMax SteadyTracker Review (Part 2)

Danny Grizzle danny at mogulhost.com
Mon Dec 9 08:53:05 PST 2002

<<Continued From Part 1>>

My wish list for SteadyTracker:

1) Bungee cord neck strap should be standard equipment, maybe something
quickly length adjustable, to enable not only flying the rig, but also
alternates like shoulder-mounted boom position w/downward tilt. I'm going to
fashion something more permanent than a long bungee with ends hooked in a
loop. My luck in a crowd, I'd brush somebody, unhook the bungee, and snap my
eye out.

2) It would be nice to have option of a Bogen hex mount tripod cleat, so the
camera could be quickly transferred to and from the SteadyTracker. Less
setup, too, since mounting the camera would not require rebalancing. ProMax
website overstates ease of moving camera between tripod & SteadyTracker, in
my opinion. No doubt other systems exist which are more difficult, but this
could be made easier and faster.

3) Back of sled body on SteadyTracker Xtreme is too long. Difficult to avoid
colliding with with operator legs while flying rig. Practice may solve this
problem.

4) Hardware upgrade -- thumb screws and bolts look like they came from a
plumbing supply store, only not that good. This thing looks crude, though I
must confess that an experienced XL-1 operator on the Tilbrook shoot was
checking it out with interest.

5) Cross bar on sled needs a quick release to pivot inside frame. The cross
bar is a handy idea because it allows SteadyTracker to substitute for a
tripod in some cases. But the cross bar is a real problem when flying the
rig, particular in crowds. I blame if specifically for busting several good
shots, and I bet some people got lacerations on their backs, too. This
feature needs to be spring loaded so that it can instantly be twisted inside
sled body - flick of a wrist, one hand only. Handheld camera work is, by
definition, run and gun.

6) Fewer loose parts. Right now, the tripod screw which retains the camera
atop the SteadyTracker is simply a loose screw which can easily be dropped
and lost. SteadyTracker is a chunk of worthless ugly junk without this
screw. All critical hardware should be captive on the rig.

7) SteadyTracker and CobraCrane both need cases. They are clunky to
transport.

Summary

SteadyTracker is an ugly duckling, but it will produce shots of swan-like
beauty. It is easy to dismiss arm supported handheld camera stabilizers, but
they can produce extraordinary shots despite low cost and the hardware's
lack of glamour. SteadyTracker needs a few design refinements and a bit of
manufacturing polish. but the biggest obstacle to producing excellent shots
with SteadyTracker is lack of operator skills and practice.

Sure, I'd love to have a Steadicam. But I have to be realistic.
SteadyTracker is extremely useful. Based on the shots it makes,
SteadyTracker is worth the money, though I  find it disappointing that
mass-market consumer tripods of 1/3 the price are manufactured & finished to
a much nicer standard. Like the CobraCrane, SteadyTracker will produce great
shots despite manufacturing economies. Far as I know, there is no way to get
the job done for less money.

My comments on the CobraCrane refer to the original extended length model. I
have not seen the CobraCrane II shown on the ProMax website.

Danny Grizzle