[MacDV] DVD on a CD-R??

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 10 22:02:30 PST 2002

At 10:58 PM -0700 12/10/02, Len wrote:
>Is there software which will allow one to create a short (20-30min)
>DVD and place it on a CD-R by using only a CD burner?  I would then
>need to play it on a DVD player.  I suspect this can be done with a
>DVD/CD burner, but that I do not have.  I have already made VCD's
>with imovie and Toast but I would like better quality, even though
>the result is much shorter.  I use a G4-500, Formac Studio/TV,
>Quicktime Pro 5 and Toast 5

Toast allows you to burn the MPEG-2 (VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS folders)
onto a CD-R to create a miniDVD (cDVD).

You can buy an MPEG-2 QuickTime Encoder from Apple for about
$20ish, if I recall correctly.

I'm not sure what tool you'll need to create the proper
multiplexed results. (I know you can do this in DVD Studio
Pro, but that's a bit expensive for a single project).

Expect a normal CD to hold only about 20 minutes, though.

Mind you, too, miniDVD/cDVD playback is not widely supported.

Honestly, your cheapest and easiest solution is to go to a PC
with a CD-R drive and use Ulead Movie Factory (about $25 on
sale right now, again if I recall correctly) to encode and
burn.

-- Erica