[MacDV] Re: Mac screen videos

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Wed Dec 11 20:31:16 PST 2002

On Wednesday, December 11, 2002, at 10:17 PM, Erica Sadun wrote:

> At 8:54 PM -0600 12/11/02, Elbert Wall wrote:
>> How can I capture my Mac's screen to video? I've tried snapz pro but
>> that wasn't satisfactory. Is there some kind of hardware adapter that
>> I can turn VGA into video?
>
> Look for a scan converter. There are many models available
> with various quality and resolution issues. Some require
> you to limit your screen resolution or to match a precise
> output frequency.
>
> I've not used a powerbook recently (or whatever they're called
> these days) but I do believe they come equipped with VGA-out
> (or so rumor (perhaps incorrect rumor) has it).

I have a PowerBook G3 (FireWire) at work, and it does, in fact, have an
s-video output.  There are a couple of issues using either a cheap
(non-broadcast-type) of computer scan converter for video or the video
outputs on PowerBooks (G3/G4) and the newer iBook (white):

- the signal is not exactly NTSC (or PAL for that matter) compliant --
you will need to either capture through the analog inputs on a DV
camera or run it through a TBC first if going to analog.

- the image with lower-quality (non-broadcast-type) scan converters
tends to be either blurry or flickery -- so you can pick the better of
two bad options in this case.  The same applies for the signal coming
from a PowerBook or iBook.

I would recommend going to CompUSA (or other local computer store) and
buying a scan converter that looks like it will meet your needs, and if
it doesn't work to your satisfaction, take it back...

Hope this helps.

- Mark