[MacDV] Re: Super 8 -> miniDV transfer

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Thu Dec 12 11:43:43 PST 2002

Steven Rogers wrote:

> On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 12:53 PM, Jeff Fay wrote:
>
>> 3. frame up the camcorder to capture the entire picture area of the
>> screen - you may have to crop off a bit on the left and right as the
>> aspect ratio of super 8 is different than video
>

> You'll probably want to leave a significant space around the movie
> frame because the TV will crop the edges by an amount that varies
> among TVs. The movie projector already cuts off a fair amount of the
> movie frame, so you don't want to loose more on TV side. Its a bit of
> an aesthetic question, but personally, I'd rather see all the picture.
>
> SR

I havealso been doing a fair amount of this hair pulling work.
 Framing it is not too hard. But getting it all in focus and white
balanced before the film falls apart or gets eaten can be a problem so
tape every pass regardless. My films were playing at 18 fr p sec  and I
put the TRV 900 down to 30.
This smoothed down the flicker a little.
I played witht he white balance because it seems that you have to switch
the indoor outdoor according to the shot.
I tried a little telecine box (Very saturated and too bright) and later
settled on a piece of epson semi photo paper as a screen. FCP's color
corrector really helped bring back the natural color.
Jim