[MacDV] Re: Super 8 -> miniDV transfer

Frank Flynn frank at declan.com
Thu Dec 12 14:23:30 PST 2002

I have been wondering about this same problem but wanted to look at it from
a different perspective.

On 12/12/02 11:43 AM, "James Asherman" <jimash at optonline.net> wrote:
> I havealso been doing a fair amount of this hair pulling work.
> Framing it is not too hard. But getting it all in focus and white
> balanced before the film falls apart or gets eaten can be a problem so
> tape every pass regardless.

I'd like to forget video except as a temporary output (make a tape and send
it to family & friends).  I'm thinking the thing to do is to get a film
scanner and scan each frame - some of the defect correcting HW & SW should
be able to improve the poor condition of my films.

Now you have the ability to fix individual frames if there's some damage,
edit and scan at a higher resolution to get the best picture out of the
small 8mm frame.

Assembling a bunch of still photos into a QT movie isn't hard (can be
somewhat tedious if it's a long movie but maybe with some AppleScript...)

So I've been looking for any kind of film scanner which would be able to do
this - I haven't found one.  I'm thinking  that I'll need to cannibalize a
projector and slide feeder to see if I can't make something that works.  A
nice film scanner can cost $1,000 or so and I'd be reluctant to mess with
it, anyone got any ideas?

Frank
--
Frank Flynn