[MacDV] Re: Any advantages to RAID for DV?

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Fri Dec 13 21:53:17 PST 2002

I am currently testing a RAID Level 0 array with two Western Digital
200GB drives, which, on my G4, works out to an extremely high
performance 372GB array which reads at 65MB/sec and writes at 45MB/sec
consistently. This is far above single drive performance, and far above
the needs of DV. The WD drives will be replaced by the new Maxtor
Maxline drives when they finally arrive on our shores. Initial results
on this RAID shows zero dropped frames to date. You should always keep
the dropped frame detection services alive on FCP just to confirm your
system is working correctly. Around here, on both desktop G4's and on
our editing TiBook, we have only dropped frames on playback when the
timeline was heavy on multitracked audio (8+ channels) with 8 or so
video tracks. All dropped frames were eliminated by issuing a "Mixdown
Audio" command (which tames 8 or more audio tracks to 2.)

Richard Brown