[MacDV] Anyone using a newer 867 Titanium laptop

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Fri Dec 13 22:27:49 PST 2002

I have had flawless results using an older 767MHz TiBook with two of the
new ADS Pyro Drives (Oxford 911 Chip) for outboard storage, on FCP under
MacOS 10.2. I finished a 26 minute show culling from 27 hours of
footage,
and experience no problems of any significance. The project was sourced
from
Betacam, MiniDV, DVCam, and Hi8, and looks spectacular. Network
producers
have reviewed the project, which leads me to the following advisement.
NEVER
reveal how you did a show. FCP on a TiBook using DVCam as the primary
I/O can look like you posted in an online suite to broadcast standards.
It helps
to have a few decades of experience going in, of course... The plain
truth is
that FCP delivers. While Avid's attempt with Xpress DV hints that it is
an
offline system preparing you for your high end Avid online editing,
Final
Cut takes the high road, going after the whole of the Avid universe,
doing
things no Avids can do in the process. I had dinner with a network Avid
editor tonight, and in comparing notes, I'd NEVER switch to Avid, if
only
for some of the more effortless compositing functions of FCP that are
nothing
but nightmarish PAINS to attempt on the Avid.

Sorry to rant...

Richard Brown