[MacDV] Re: Any advantages to RAID for DV?

Shirley Kehr ShirleyKat at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 15 08:00:42 PST 2002

I believe the problems were with IBM 75 GB drives. I have one of those
and have not had a problem with it. I've had it for more than a year.
The failures occurred with drives manufactured in one factory (in
Hungary, I think). Basically, we've been told on this list that anything
from IBM over 100 GB is designed to stand up to 24 x 7 use.

I bet there will be pretty good deals on 120 and 160 GB drives soon too.
Not only are their 200 and 250 GB drives now, but there is a news item
on MacWorld's page that says La Cie is bring out 400 and 500 GB drives.
The 400 runs at 7200 and the 500 at 5400. They are expensive, of course
($899 and 999). These are external FireWire and they have taken extra
precautions to dissipate heat.

Shirley