Printing Network Problem

Karl Seilo kseilo at ameritech.net
Tue Dec 17 08:44:06 PST 2002

Looking for help with a network printing problem.

Since I have an older non-USB (HP LaserJet 6MP) Printer, I need to use
an AsanteTalk Bridge connected to my G4 as follows:

-G4 connected to Netgear 10/100 ethernet switch via ethernet cable
-Powerbook 1400 connected to Netgear switch via ethernet cable
-AsanteTalk bridge connected to Netgear switch via ethernet cable
-AsanteTalk bridge connected to HP LaserJet printer via AppleTalk
connectors (termintated) on both ends.

Problem:  When G4 w/OSX desktop & PB1400 are powered on, the AsanteTalk
bridge is confused and does not recognize the printer.  A workaround
requires a disconnect of both the AC power and ethernet cable from the
AsanteTalk -- waiting 30 sec. and then reconnecting power and ethernet
(to AsanteTalk) before computers recognize the printer.  Obviously,
this is a waste of time every day.  (No, I don't leave my computers on
24/7).

To eliminate this time-consuming uplugging and re-plugging every time I
boot up, the tech support at Asante tell me that I'll need to buy a new
USB printer or an ethernet printer.

Can I get by with just a USB printer?   Network printers are so
expensive.  Every time I ask either sales people or mac tech people for
help I get a different answer.  Help.

Karl