Problem converting 8mm film

Maurice Kay mmkj at swbell.net
Sun Dec 22 15:05:41 PST 2002

I am attempting to convert 8mm movie film to digital tape using my Sony
camcorder. I am using an old Bell & Howell Model 466A projector to
project the film images through a Sima CopyKit 2 box into my camcorder.
My problem is this:

The film image reflected in the CopyKit 2 looks good; however, the image
which shows up on the camcorder's LCD screen has a pulsing light flare
in the center of the picture.

My only thought as to the cause is the frame rate difference between
film and video. The projector has a speed dial, without any markings,
and which is turned to what appears to be its highest speed. Turning the
knob the other direction seems to slow the frame rate. The instruction
manual for the projector, which I inherited from my dad, is for a Model
456 that does not have a speed dial.

Any advice or suggestions in solving this problem will be greatly
appreciated.

Maurice