Various newbie questions

Paul Russell prussell at sonic.net
Mon Dec 23 22:05:13 PST 2002

Hi -

I'm new to the list and a clueless newbie when it comes to DV, and I
have a few questions. I'm using a Dazzle Hollywood analogue<->DV
converter to pull video off analogue Hi-8 tapes onto a G4 Mac for
editing with iMovie and burning onto VCD's and/or writing back out to
VHS tapes.

1) The audio on my tapes is mono - is there any way I can either
force iMovie to capture in mono rather than stereo, or is there some
way of deleting the right channel audio ?

2) I had to split my movie across two partitions initially (as two
separate iMovie "projects"). Now that I've edited out all the
"scribble" I'd like to combine the two onto one partition, but iMovie
appears to only let you import raw media files. Do I have to lose all
my edits on the second part of the movie, import the raw clips, and
then do the edits all over again ? Or can I perhaps export the second
part in some suitable uncompressed format and import it into the
first project ?

3) Is there any way to combine two clips in iMovie ? Because iMovie
seems to want to split the captured video into clips of 9:27 you
often end up with two clips which need to be spliced back together
again.

4) What's the best way to master VCD's ? I see that Discribe from
Anubis claims to be able to do this, but looking at a commercial VCD
here it looks like it should be pretty easy to do just by putting the
MPEG file and a few text files in the right places on an ISO (?)
format CD ? Is there a "how to" or FAQ somewhere that explains how to
make a VCD ? And what's the best way to generate the MPEG 1 file
prior to mastering the VCD ?

Thanks in advance for any help on the above,

Paul