[MacDV] Re: Various newbie questions

Paul Russell prussell at sonic.net
Mon Dec 23 23:35:19 PST 2002

>On Tuesday, December 24, 2002, at 12:05 AM, Paul Russell wrote:
>
>>  . . . Or can I perhaps export the second part in some suitable
>>uncompressed format and import it into the first project ?
>
>Yes, if you have Quicktime Pro, you can export the movie for iDVD,
>then export the iDVD movie as a raw DV file into your other iMovie
>project. Its not really necessary to get the two parts together
>unless you want to export the parts all at once. You can export the
>two parts and join them into one iDVD file using Quicktime Pro, if
>you wanted, or export them to a camera one after the other.
>
>>3) Is there any way to combine two clips in iMovie ? Because iMovie
>>seems to want to split the captured video into clips of 9:27 you
>>often end up with two clips which need to be spliced back together
>>again.
>
>The bad news is no, there's no way to rejoin clips, but the good
>news is that you don't really need to, from the standpoint of
>content. The video comes out the same regardless of where the
>boundaries between clips are. It would be nice mentally to reduce
>the number of clips to keep a project simple - maybe they'll add
>that in the future.
>
>>  Is there a "how to" or FAQ somewhere that explains how to make a VCD
>
>http://www.vcdhelp.com/

Thanks for your help Steve. Looks like I need to stump up the cash for QT Pro.

One more question - is there anything between iMovie at $0 and Final
Cut Pro at $995 ? I already feel like I've outgrown iMovie's
capabilities (although it's pretty good for the basic stuff), but I
can't justify spending $995 for editing home movies.

Cheers,

Paul