Capturing Time Code Breaks

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Tue Dec 24 12:41:42 PST 2002

Most DV Cams which are consumer-oriented do not maintain time code
properly when you have multiple takes in a row, especially if you power
down or remove the tape in-between.

In FCP, you must turn OFF the setting which aborts capture upon a time
code break. It is under the General Preferences: "Abort capture after
dropped frames." Uncheck this item, and further consider setting the
capture to be a non-controllable device. The Firewire input can be used
as uncontrollable, and then you just play the tape and select "Capture
Now."

Richard Brown