[MacDV] Re: varous newbie questions

Paul Russell prussell at sonic.net
Thu Dec 26 10:01:06 PST 2002

>If you are doing this for home video and not for a living, you may
>have more time than
>money.  From what I have learned, you can probably do all or most of
>what you need to in
>iMovie, QT Pro, and some other low cost programs.  I went through
>this awhile back, and
>after exhaustive research, learned that I could do most of what I
>wanted to do in iMovie,
>if I was willing to spend a lot of time doing some things that a
>professional program
>could do easily.  The titling program was also too limited for me,
>and there seemed to be
>a program file corruption problem in iMovie that may very well be
>corrected now.  (No
>program is without its issues.)  The learning curve was much greater
>in Adobe Premiere,
>and I am glad I went through it, because there are simple things I
>can do that- to me-
>would be a hassle to do in iMovie.
>There are a number of iMovie2 books on the market.  You might want
>to go to a big
>bookstore that might carry more than one, Borders, for one, and
>check them out, and
>choose the one that works best for you.  One that I have and like is
>David Pogue's.
>Good luck

Thanks for your helpful comments Craig. These, and other suggestions
from people on the list have convinced me to stick with iMovie and QT
Pro for now. I'm hoping to burn some VCD's and analogue tapes from my
first project this weekend so it will be interesting to see how they
turn out and get some feedback from friends and family before I
embark on my next project.

Cheers,

Paul