[MacDV] How to dub? from a newbie

Paul Russell prussell at sonic.net
Sun Dec 29 08:18:53 PST 2002

>Philips TV connected to Toshiba VCR via arial cables and eurocables
>(SCART cables).  TV has video RCA jacks (and S-video) on the front
>panel which work fine for INPUT from camera.  VCR has RCA-jacks on
>the front panel for INPUT from camera.  But I  can't find any way to
>obtain video/audio OUTPUT to export the VHS-C to the camera.  I
>don't understand these SCART cables (being an American exile).  Is
>there some kind of SCART connector that provides VIDEO/AUDIO OUT?
>If so do they come with S-video out?  Or better still, FireWire out?

A good investment is a SCART "breakout" cable - this has a SCART
connector on one end and then all the SCART signals are broken out to
RCA (aka "phono") connectors on the other end of the cable (they are
labelled too, which is a big help, as there are a lot of them). This
would let you transfer stuff direct from the VCR to your camera, and
makes a useful "Swiss Army Knife" for future projects.

Paul