[MacDV] Re: Sony DV Tape Stocks (HELP!)

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Sun Dec 29 19:52:14 PST 2002

The Sony Professional DVCAM tapes are vastly preferred for real
production work than the consumer grade tapes. One of our reasons for
using the Sony PDVM-40N stock is merely the excellent case quality
which is simply lacking in the consumer tapes. MiniDV format is
FRAGILE, and suffers damage far more easily than the Beta and other pro
stocks of the world. The Sony pro packaging for MiniDV levels the field
at least a little. Furthermore, when shooting, the pro case allows real
labeling to occur, just like the other pro formats, something
impossible with the consumer tapes.  Shooting in DVCAM mode on the
PD150 is also vastly preferable, for reasons of quality as well as that
the tapes can still be read by ordinary Mini DV equipment if required.
If you are shooting a TV pilot in DVCAM, editing in FCP, then dubbing
back to DVCAM, the next step should be to up-convert to Beta Digital or
SP for submission to non-DVCAM facilities. Lightning Dubs in L.A. do
this conversion all the time. In that DVCAM is becoming the archive
media of choice for some of the studios (including converting Beta SP
to DVCAM) due to the huge savings in storage costs and long 184 minute
DVCAM tape availability, there is continued expansion and commonality
of the format.

Also, if your program length runs over 40 minutes, and you need to get
it laid back to DVCAM, I can do this for you at my facility from your
hard drive (if you are posting in FCP.)

Richard Brown