DV vs. Film, biz wise

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Mon Dec 30 08:42:16 PST 2002

For theatrical presentation, Lowell is absolutely right about MiniDV
and the big screen. However, you might consider other options wherein
MiniDV, or preferably, DVCAM can be used successfully for an
independent film. I'm alluding to the "direct to video" category, but,
as a feature FILM, I specifically mean DVD, perhaps following, were the
film of sufficient impact or star quality, other video markets such as
cable and satellite. Shooting 24P High Definition would add
considerably to your budget, but would allow the further opportunity to
do a theatrical release down the road. In either case, as others would
probably shout as well, get yourself the best director of photography
you can.

Direct to video? No money there, right? Maybe, maybe not, but it
depends on what your definition of success is. For a studio picture, if
a mere $30 million is spent on production with a 2:1 Prints and
Advertising (P&A) budget, you've got to make $90,000,001, only
theoretically, to make a $1 profit. This is absurd, of course, as other
charges are levied against the film. There was a famous law suit over
points owed on "Batman" which stated the film languished "in the red."
Didn't make a dime. Hollywood accounting is legendary for its
uniqueness, and each year, the same stories float around about how the
whole film industry is on its death bed.

For the independent, this is an interesting time. It's a bear market we
are plunging into, and a look at the dismal holiday sales levels will
clue you in fast about the state of things. Filmmaking is one of the
essentially "recession proof" industries. During the Great Depression,
movies thrived. But they were CHEAP, then. Today, if money is tight,
and you've got a family to take to the movies, which with tickets and
concessions checks in at $30+, what if you could feed your home theater
system a world premiere DVD for $20, including the popcorn? $18? $15?
Now, you look at your direct to DVD film, maybe it's a great family
comedy, your budget, with luck, is under $100,000. Maybe you've had a
stroke of great luck, and it's $55,000. Your DVD averages about $1.25 a
copy, you charge $2.95 Shipping and Handling with a $19.95 price, with
the buyer also paying for shipping. There are many millions of DVD
players in computers and home theaters in the world right now. You need
to sell 5,000 pieces to make an $8,250 profit on a $100K budget, or a
$53,250 profit on $55K. Now the DVD production cost is you as film
prints are to a studio. The "Advertising" part is where you will have
to spend money to get the word out. But ways to do this are developing
right now on the Internet. And what if you sell 25,000 pieces after
putting up another $50,000 in advertising? That's about a $390,000
profit on that $100K feature, because at this time you're bothering
also to get an MPAA rating. Which means, you're making another feature,
maybe this time in 24P HD. Clint Eastwood was often chided about some
of his smaller films, like "Bronco Billy," about how they were box
office "failures." That film, and his other "disappointments," were in
the black to the tune of MILLIONS of dollars. Failures?

Without marquee level stars, however, most independent films are
relegated to the unseen category, except possibly for film festivals.
What a film festival (the right ones) can do for a DV filmmaker is to
bring that filmmaker to the attention of people who could launch a
career. But if you are looking to produce with the intention of
profitability, this brings up genre, which, for a low to micro budget
project shot in video, almost certainly precludes all but a few genres
if you are to have any shot at all. Theatrical distribution, even for
top flight independents shooting 35mm is often an impossible goal lest,
through the festivals or direct presentation the film is "picked up" by
a distributor. This is not common, but does happen.

What is most vital, as an aspiring filmmaker, is to maintain the
passion through the obstacles. Giving up is what ends many a
filmmaker's career. On the bright side, the Internet is beginning to
provide exposure, distribution, and sales opportunities for indie
productions which have NEVER existed before. With the explosion of DVD
players and home theater systems into the viewing public's homes,
combined with the maturing DLP High Definition Projection market (still
a long way from critical mass) we've taken the notion of the DVD World
Premiere seriously, and will be developing dvdworldpremiere.com and
worldpremieredvd.com shortly. If DVD is suddenly replaced by the
forthcoming holographic storage technology, we have those sites as well
to chime in toward what looks to be a very bright future for home video.

Two other bright sides: 1) even if you shoot High Definition, you can
still edit inexpensively on Final Cut Pro. 2) If you choose to use
DV/DVCAM, Ultimatte has done a nice job at solving the compositing
issues of DV video, so mind blowing effects in DV are now pretty much
doable. Knowledge of available technology and the creativity to use it,
in the end, is key to any production.

Now, you can always go and shoot 16mm or 35mm. Your rentals, film and
lab budget will be a big eye opener. But it's film. Having been there
and done that, selling independent films at Cannes, MIFED, and AFM, I
can say, were I beginning today... with Final Cut and DVCAM having
changed the way many people think, and with the Internet changing
everything, and with DVD about to kill VHS... I'd probably try some
kind of adrenalin rush scifi/horror film aimed more toward kids rating
wise but fun for adults with great effects, as a rich-featured DVD with
a 5.1 surround track in 2 languages, a huge bunch of special features,
a supporting, linked web site, several popular foreign languages
available in subtitles, great art and a collectible standard movie
poster for an extra five bucks. It would also, of course, have a decent
cliffhanger at the end.

Richard Brown

On Monday, December 30, 2002, at 01:23 AM, finalcutpro8 at netscape.net