[MacDV] Re: Cinema Display and comments...

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Mon Nov 25 08:44:22 PST 2002

Just seconding the contour shuttle pro remarks.  It rocks!
I zip through stuff with it. Both hands are busy.
And obviously if I was doing something *important*,which I don't, I
would turn on the video monitor.
On the otherhand not using the outboard monitor gives you the realtime
dissolves.
I shoot with a VX1000 and a trv900 and have Lacie electronBlueIII 19
 and crappy panasonic monitors.
Oh and a quicksilver 867.
Jim

Richard Brown wrote:

> I recently did NOT purchase the 23" Cinema Display, in favor of a 22"
> CRT for about $2,700 less money. When I was considering the Cinema
> Display, I ONLY considered the 23" as it has vastly better specs as to
> graphics work. The single most important thing you can do for Final
> Cut is to buy the Contour Shuttle Pro. I just finished, on location, a
> 26 minute show on my TiBook and never once missed either of my 22"
> CRT's. Width is not crucial when you have a jog shuttle and instant
> cut to cut jumping. While, yes, you can do it on the keyboard, nothing
> beats a jog shuttle, because once familiarized, you NEVER half to look
> at the thing. Ever been impressed with someone who rocks on a
> calculator's number pad? Same thing with the Contour Shuttle. My edit
> had 27 hours of source footage and, though an industrial, has a
> entertainment cutting style. I used to spend more than $600 an hour to
> edit this kind of stuff (to get it close to FCP) in the linear, analog
> world. FCP, even on the PowerBook, is blazingly fast and creative (the
> only annoyance - occasional renders, but WHO CARES?)

Really!