[MacDV] Resampling revisited and production audio, Sony style...

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Mon Nov 25 14:51:39 PST 2002

Richard Brown wrote:

> As long as the intent is NOT DVD, then, absolutely, use any bit depth
> and sample rate. No algorithm to resample is perfect, is all I
> suggest, as well as to avoid same whenever possible. From my point of
> view, addressing analog delivery, which is the case sub 48KHz, is
> counterproductive. To 'change' later is to impair audio quality, but
> there is certainly room to maneuver...
>
> It goes to the end user, when your video "goes home."... will the
> subtle differences, or even errors, in resampling digital audio be
> apparent to the layman? Even with a great home theater? Probably not.
> We have resampled a ton of 44 KHz audio from music libraries to 48KHZ,
> gone to DVD as well as VHS with them, and nary a soul has ever complained.

This is my experience too, and I come from an audio background.
While You are around i am having another WAY obscure problem.
One client gives me  SVHS tapes . I feed them thru a Sony media
converter into FCP and edit.
I then feed the edit back thru the media converter to another SVHS as an
edit master (luckily this is all to change real soon)
They take the edit master and have a receptionist dub it into a prosumer
DVD recorder .
The DVD recorder Gltches on the Transitions (dissolves flips etc.) and
shows an error of Copy Protect. ONLY ON TANSITIONS. the rest is fine. No
problem is apparent on the tape. Any thoughts?
Jim