[MacDV] Re: How to rip a VCD?

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 27 01:39:07 PST 2002

At 8:40 AM +0100 11/27/02, Hans de Bijl wrote:
>Hi listas,
>
>I had this problem also. Also I had to recover photo's from my
>friends photoVCD.
>At home I can't copy the .dat files but at my work I could.
>
>The only difference is the drive in this machine. It's a normal CD drive.
>
>What is this?

VCDs are not normal CDs.

I will quote myself (forgive me) from another posting:

There are a number of issues when it comes to VCD playback,
not just reflectivity. You've got to have the proper software
to decode and play the data. Also, your playback system has to
be cognizant of the different CD format. (White Book vs Orange
Book or Yellow Book ISO 9660 standards). VCDs use Mode2/Form2
which allows for higher data transfer rate for media that's more
tolerant of errors (little changes in audio or video may not be detected
by human senses). So to keep the data rate high, they basically
skip error correction codes. Your built-in CD drive which is
trying to read using Yellow Book (which is mode 1) can freak
at the lack of error correction.

Copy the .dat file at work, put it on a fresh CD (not VCD)
and bring it home that way.

-- Erica