Apple's Tutorial on QuickTime Chapter Tracks

Mikael Grounes mikael.grounes at mbox200.swipnet.se
Sat Nov 30 06:14:58 PST 2002

Among the tutorials on Apple's QuickTime pages
<http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tools_tips/tutorials/> is one on
Chapter Tracks. There a 14-step cook-book-type description is given
on how to add the ability to jump to pre-determined places in a QT
movie by adding a chapter menu to the right of the progress bar below
the picture. Has anybody applied this 'recipe' succesfully?

I have a PB G4 with a Swedish OS 9.1 and QT 5. I always obtain a
blank first chapter title and two of the later chapter titles are
repeated (and others correpondingly missing) although I end up at the
right places in the movie when I click on the places where the titles
should have been.

I have heard another person, with a U.S. OS 10 and QT 6 report the
same behavior.

This tuorial seems to be written in haste. Under Step 3 it mentions
'set fractions of seconds as 1/30', this only applies to NTSC, while
the correct number for PAL is 1/25, furthermore under Step 4 it
mentions 'the button with 4 dots' which does not exist in QT 5 and 6
(I vagely remember it in QT 4). Also under Step 1 it says 'add a
carriage return after each topic', I suspect that 'exept the last
one' should be added.

Mikael