[MacDV] Formatting new Firewire HD

Mike Cameron mcamero at pop3.utoledo.edu
Fri Aug 1 06:08:26 PDT 2003

It would be good to have at least one partition on your system for
just output of completed DV projects.  Easy to defragment (by erasing
it).  Defragmenting (and on my system running Disk Warrior) is
essential for some projects to output without dropped frames or
glitches in the music).  Depending on the sizes of your future
projects you may wish to set aside 15-20 GB for this (~ 1.5 hrs of
video).  Any other partitioning depends upon your organization
preferences.

the GOOD - partitions allow you to organize
the BAD  - you cannot consolidate the unused space on separate partitions

Good luck,
Mike (who put 6 partitions on his first 60 GB drive but only 3 on his
last 200 GB drive)

>I have just purchased a new 120 GB LaCie Firewire drive.  I comes
>already formatted for my Mac which is running OSX 10.2.6.  I plan on
>using this dive for editing video.  What are your recommendations on
>whether or not I should partition this drive?
>
>Thank you,

Doug Mitchell