[MacDV] Re 8mm to DV

Mark O'Brien rmobrien at mac.com
Mon Aug 4 05:43:17 PDT 2003

On 8/3/03 10:58 AM, "animal" <animal at cuug.ab.ca> wrote:

> Since I'm uncertain about the process, for the best quality am I better
> off:
>
> 1) getting them to make digital .mov files of the footage OR
> 2) take the VHS tape and use something like a Canopus 1000 to make my
> own .mov  Is the quality going to be significantly less than:
> 3) get a NTSC mini dv copy and download footage via firewire (I would
> have to rent the mini dv camera as we only have a PAL mini dv.)

Option 3 will be higher quality than Option 1 (less compression) or 2
(higher resolution). Once you have the footage in DV, you have an archive
copy that will not suffer generation loss when/if you transfer it to another
medium.

Plus, you can use any NLE (iMovie, FCE, FCP, etc.) to further edit and make
.mov and VHS copies. With FCE and FCP you can also correct or enhance color,
which may have degraded over time on film.

Mark