[MacDV] Re: 8mm to DV

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Mon Aug 4 10:02:08 PDT 2003

On Monday, August 4, 2003, at 11:28 AM, Char Roberts wrote:

> As a newbie to this list I was about to ask a similar question. I
> bumped into a web site that I just don't know if is good advice or
> self-serving advertising, that says the best way to get 8mm to digital
> is to "re-shoot" the film,

Right - that's the best way. People often mention using a telecine
process, but for most people, that's about like suggesting renting a
Lear jet for the family vacation - its just not going to happen no
matter how good it might be.

>  usually after doing some film cleaning, and preferably with pro
> quality digital cams, not consumer level; and then save it in DV
> format for archives, distributing copies via DVD or CD if desired.
> This would be a very expensive process if you have a lot of old film.
> I'd appreciate the thoughts on that from the obviously well-informed
> on this list.

I browsed through his tips, and it seems all correct to me, if perhaps
a little overly bleak. Did companies really tell people that VHS tapes
are archival quality and to throw away their film?  I suspect that
people did it - not because they were misled, but because they just
didn't think.

Regarding the use of "transfer", when a company says they're going to
transfer your film to DVD, they probably just mean "transfer" in the
ordinary sense of the word. The average person has no knowledge of the
film transfer process which creates an exact copy The use of "transfer"
cannot be a scam that trades on the reputation of film transfer process
because the average person has no knowledge of such a process.

And its true that no tape is archival quality, but I don't think it
really qualifies as a "scam" to give people a DV tape and call it a
master. In terms of the state of the technology today, that is
effectively the master copy. Film and DVDs will deteriorate too, if
fresh copies are not made. The digital media can be copied without
degrading it - that's the difference between it and VHS. If someone is
giving out VHS tapes and calling that a master, well, that's pretty
stupid.

Do companies really shoot film with a VHS camera and bridge that onto a
DV deck?  Boy, that would be exceptionally stupid, and would qualify as
misrepresentation in my book.

SR