[MacDV] Canon ZR40 -- How do you like it?

ShirleyK ShirleyKat at cox.net
Mon Aug 4 19:57:17 PDT 2003

Chris,

I don't use it very much and my only previous (digital) experience was
with a ZR10 in which the tape mechanism no longer works. It's not a
high-end camera but it serves my purposes in the same way a point and
shoot camera serves the purposes of most people taking snapshots.
Pre-planning movies with scripts is the last thing I want to
do.

When I needed to quickly replace the ZR-10, I went with the ZR-40
because it was familiar, I could use my extended battery, and I hoped
to use the ZR-10 as a pass-through device. Both cameras failed to do
that when I needed it because I had never done it before and didn't
know about the menu option.

And in case Karl Seilo is reading: I found the following topic:
"Digitally outputting analog video and audio signals (Analog-Digital
Converter)" in the manual.  It's on page 81 of the English version for
the ZR-40. My understanding is that all the ZR models do this -
including the original ZR-10. However, it's possible that European
models do not have that feature.

If you have it, you use the VCR SET UP menu and select AV > DV OUT, set
to ON. Make selections with the little scroll wheel. Push to select
after dialing the option you want.

Shirley