Help Blacking a Tape/Time Code

sb videovideo at mac.com
Fri Aug 8 10:11:32 PDT 2003

They want your program to start at the 1 Hour mark.

This is normal for broadcast.

You have to start at 58 minutes so there is room before the 1 hour mark for
Bars and Tone, Leader, Slate, etc.

You can use FCP in the Edit To Tape window, but if you only have a consumer
DV camcorder, you will only be able start the timecode at 00:00:00:00.

I think the Sony PD-150 camcorder is the only non-professional camcorder or
deck that you can assign the starting timecode (addressable timecode)

If you rent a higher end deck to do your dub, make sure it has addressable
timecode and then you can set it for 00:58:00:00 to start recording. Then
you will be able to Edit To Tape your movie to start at the 1:00:00:00 mark.

If you are working in Non-Drop Frame, your 1 hour movie would actually be
slightly shorter than 1 hour. (and that would be bad if you were
broadcasting it and it went to black several seconds before it was supposed
to be over)

As someone mentioned, DV is Drop Frame, but this is something that needs to
be set on the record deck. The higher end decks that allow you to assign
timecode can also be set to record in either DF or Non-DF. It's usually
buried in the deck menu.

 sb