can't open file in FCP 3

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Mon Aug 18 21:51:05 PDT 2003

Based on your memory allocation, it appears you are using virtual
memory with Final Cut. This is chewing up a lot of HD space, and VM is
always not the greatest of ideas for video editing stability. When we
were on System 9, we maxed our chip memory and never used VM for
anything. VM OFF is a good thing.

Second, Final Cut 3 is picky about CORRECT amounts of memory, and
throwing too much, or two little, makes it flaky. Try sticking to basic
chip memory levels, hopefully outside of VM. 512MB, 768MB, etc. You do
NOT have to have memory equal to program length/media allocation. What
would people editing HD on Final Cut do?

If the project you speak of dwells on a single hard drive (3 hours of
DV is less than 50 GB, so it's quite possible) then why not pull the
drive, put it into an ADS Firewire case, and get the project up on
another system?

Better, COPY ALL THE FILES to another system (hint: BUY A BACKUP DRIVE,
another ADS Pyro Case (you'll need two, and they cost only about $80
each without drives) and do your own Firewire to Firewire backup). The
most important thing, from the start, will be to SAVE your FCP document
of your edit to some trusted place, NOT on the same drive. Maybe to a
CD-R.  This, of course, assumes you logged your tapes properly into FCP
so that you might do a "from the tapes" restoration.

Once you are fully backed up someplace, try trashing all your FCP
prefs, maybe even your render files of the project, etc. and then load
FCP alone, and from the File Menu, try loading your edit. You may have
messed up FCP, and it retains its errors by way of its somehow mangled
prefs.

Richard Brown