[MacDV] NTSC miniDV camcorder in France...

Karl Hayden khayden at iol.ie
Fri Aug 22 16:53:56 PDT 2003

Sean,

OK to start lets deal with the easy stuff... Most people outside the
US, Canada and Mexico have duel system VCRs as domestic appliances. In
PAL regions (ie: 90% of the world) most VCRs will play both PAL and
NTSC (with a 24 pin scart connection.) I am almost sure the duel
systems on French VCRs are NTSC and SECAM (be sure the connection
between the VCR and the TV is made with a 24 pin scart cable.) But the
problem is they may only record in SECAM, so trying to use a French VCR
as a way to convert your iMovie videos from NTSC to SECAM will not
work. But I think you should be able to connect your camera via the VCR
to the TV and the VCR will convert the signal for viewing on the TV
(with a 24 pin scart connection)..... I think!!

WHY WE ALL CAN'T HAVE THE SAME SYSTEM I DON'T KNOW !!!! (well actually
I do... the NTSC system was developed in the US, the PAL system was an
Anglo-German-Japanese development and the SECAM system was developed in
France. Then nationalism took over and here we are)

As for sending your videos home to the US (?)(North America). If your
MAC is a SuperDrive you can burn them onto a DVD or as you say a VCD.
You could also convert short videos to QuickTime and send them by
e-mail (but nothing too long or too high quality.)

As for power converters for your Mac.... be careful. The warranty on
your Mac will not cover you if your computer gets damaged while
connected to a power supply other than the one your Mac was built to
take. Make sure you have a good quality adaptor for the plug. (if you
have the money and think you may end up travelling around different
parts of Europe with your Mac I would strongly suggest you invest in a
Travel Connection Pack like the ones available at:
http://www.targus.com/us/accessories_combo.asp) You may also need a
telephone adaptor for the connect between your Mac and the French phone
socket. You will find them also on the same web site
http://www.targus.com/us/)

Can I just make mention of one thing.... if you are in France to study
in university there is a good chance the will have a media studies
department. My guess is they will have the facilities to convert NTSC
to SECAM for your friends in France.... OR.... copy your NTSC MiniDV to
NTSC VHS to send home to your family. When you are asking them for help
be sure not to mention the lead up to the war. I don't think the anti
French stuff flying around the US prior to the war went down too well
with them.... they never did take to the idea of "Freedom-Fries" or the
down turn in the sale of French wines and cheeses.

Hope this has been of some help to you.....

Karl Hayden
Dublin, Ireland