[MacDV] Re: Wedding video editing

Rod Duncan roduncan at telus.net
Mon Aug 25 14:23:46 PDT 2003

Many good suggestions.

Something to consider, if you use audio that is less than 16-bit you
will have sound sync issues in iMovie.  Apologies if this has already
been discussed on the list.

I use a Canon XL-1 that allows me to choose between two channel
(16-bit) four channel (12-bit) sound onboard the camera. This allows
the use of two separate mikes (for instance, a wireless lav on the
groom and the stereo microphone on the camera) and mix sound while
shooting. To do this, the camera has to be into four channel 12-bit
sound mode.

A well documented problem in iMovie is the loss of 12-bit sound
sync.. There is a work around and it means exporting the finished
out-of-sync iMovie project back to the camera or deck (set at 16-bit
sound) and then re-importing the exported project back into iMovie.
Voila! Your sound is now completely in sync. I believe this only
applies in Quicktime and DVD exports for digital playback, not in
exporting back out to tape.

How was that Erica? What did I miss? I await the "Mistress of iMovie"
Hey, not a bad title for your next book. <gwin>

Rod