[MacDV] OT: iChat does not connect

Peter Tattersall ptatters at zerobyzero.ca
Thu Aug 28 07:12:46 PDT 2003

I can connect via Rendezvous between machines on my LAN, but not via
AIM over the Internet. According to iChat, I am logged into AIM under
one id from my Mac using my broadband connection, and at the same time
I am logged into AIM from my ThinkPad under a separate id using a
dialup connection. Both connections are set so anyone can see when I am
logged in, but neither machine can see the other.

The broadband connection usually sits behind a Linksys router, but all
ports for iChat are directed to one machine, so that shouldn't be a
factor. The ThinkPad connects through my employer's net (didn't think
I'd buy a ThinkPad for myself, did you?) so it's possible that a
blockage could be happening on that firewall, but AIM is the corporate
designated external chat program (using Sametime on their Intranet
works fine) and is used by others, so I don't expect firewall problems
there.

I just tried adding buddies to my iChatAV-list based on posts to this
list which gave the poster's email address at .mac,com, and several
show up as available right now, so it seems to be something in the way
my AIM accounts are set up.

On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 10:07  PM, czayachkowski at shaw.ca