[MacDV] Re: More than 90 minutes

Fabian Ius Fabian_Ius at edu.yorku.ca
Tue Dec 2 14:56:34 PST 2003

>I would like to save more than 90 minutes to a DVD using iDVD3 but 90
>minutes seems to be the limit.  If I could save the iMovie as a disc
>image I could use DVD2oneX to compress the movie down to 4.4 gb.  But
>there doesn't seem to be a way.  On the jewel box for the blank dvd it
>says the capacity is 120 minutes at high density and a lot more and the
>lower qualities, but how do you do it?
>
>Brent
>
>Below I've included a copy of a post from Erica Sadun. It describes a
>method for lowering the bit rate used to encode a project in iDVD. If you
>try it, let us know how it worked!  :-)

In iDVD3, I've tried to lower the bit rate for a 90+ minute movie and 60+
minute movie rate to create an "slightly over the limit" movie, but cannot
get it to encode at the rate that I specified.  I tried various methods
and could not get it to work.

As Erica stated, you can alter the bit rate for a movie that is less than
60 minutes or less than 90 minutes, but not when you go above iDVD's
limit.  It always defaults to the "less than 60/90 minute movie".

I have tried for hours and days without success... perhaps I will have to
move up to DVDSP2 to create a 90+ minute DVD.

Any other more positive experiences with exceeding iDVD3's time limit?