[MacDV] Re: Formatting my hard drive

Peter van der Linden pvdl at afu.com
Wed Dec 3 03:07:25 PST 2003

>> Question is, of the 160G drive that comes with the machine i don't
>> know how big my partitions should be.
>>
>> Generally i like to keep the OS, the apps and files on separate
>> partitions. How big should my OS partition be? I'll be loading apps
>> such as FCP, DVD Studio Pro, Norton and adobe. I read here somewhere
>> that certain apps need to reside in the same directory as the OS
>> (???).

You're not doing anything with partitions that you can't do easier,
cheaper, and more flexibly with multiple directories (folders) on one
partition.   So go ahead and use one big partition on the disk.  Or one
big one and one small 5GB one for experimenting with Linux and/or
future OS releases.

Partitions were useful when disks were much smaller, and we needed to
separate out the fixed size stuff from the variable sized stuff.
Nowadays there is much less justification for using multiple
partitions.  The right disk technology is one or two partitions,
journalled filesystems, and RAID protection.  Anything else is just
organization for its own sake.

     Peter